Friday, February 24, 2012

HELP WANTED...PLEASE


Husband vs. Wife Depate

Clayton often tells me that I make our marriage sound so perfect and so fairytale-ish on this blog.  So get ready for the shock of a lifetime as I set the record straight (you might even want to sit down for this).  Our marriage isn't perfect.  We have our arguments and problems just like any other normal couple  (because YES having disagreements in a marriage is NORMAL).  However, I choose to not parade them on this blog as I like to keep it as a positive as I can and when I look back I would rather look at all the good memories instead of the bad.

That being said why don't I share one of our latest debates.  MUSIC.  Clayton thinks he is the king of music.  He plays the bass and was in a band in high school.  Not the high school band (cus YES there is a HUGE difference)...but a real, deal wannabe rockstar band.  Therefor he knows it all.

Me on the other hand...well my upbringing consisted of listening to Q92.  Ahhh..the soft rock, adult contemporary station (read: mom station).  To draw the picture even clearer, for awhile I would listen to the Casey Kasem countdown each Sunday night.  There would be cassette in the tape player and I would have my finger hovering over the "record" button waiting for Byran Adam's "Everything I Do I Do it for You" to come on so I record it onto my tape (yes TAPE) and listen to it over and over and over again...anytime I wanted.  My other musical knowledge came from all the cd's I ordered from Columbia House for 1 penny (never mind the huge bill that came later...that is beside the point.  I would let my mom deal with that one).  One of my first CD's was that of Sir Elton John.  Like I said I had excellent taste in music.

So yes I think that all of this pretty much trumps Clayton's musical expertise.

Back to the debate:

The other night we were talking about Monster Ballads and what songs would be considered a Monster Ballad.  We came to two songs that we completely and utterly disagreed on.  Disagreed so much that Clayton said (with a ton of confidence), "Why don't you post this on the blog and see which song people think is more likely to resemble a Monster Ballad."  It is a rarity that Clayton tells me what to post.  Therefor I will seize the day and ask you all to help us settle this debate.

I won't tell you who choose what song so that the vote isn't swayed.  Please also don't say that both of them are Monster Ballads.  Choose one or the other.  If you think that they are both, then tell me which one you think is more of a Monster Ballad.

SONGS


Depeche Mode - "Somebody"

OR...

Aerosmith - "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing"

Please, Please, Please vote so that Clayton will have to kneel before me and say the words, "You Were Right" (just kidding).  Seriously though even if you don't know me, but read my blog anyway COMMENT which song you think is more of a Monster Ballad.  I am really curious to see what people think.

LET THE VOTING BEGIN

18 comments:

Christensen Family said...

Ok so we do have a cd of monster ballads......But i did not go look. i think Aerosmith has to be the one! just my oppion

Jennifer said...

I'd have to vote for Aerosmith too.

Karen Ella said...

Apparently I'm in the minority here. From these two, I'd say Depeche Mode, simply because they resonate in my 80s memory as more fitting of what I call "Monster Ballads". (And, yes, I have a lot of 80s songs memories because my sisters always picked the music we listened to...) Aerosmith, while old, didn't sing this song when Monster Ballads were the thing to sing.

HOWEVER, truthfully: NEITHER. Monster Ballads are things like Firehouse's "When I Look Into Your Eyes" or "Love of a Lifetime" or REO Speedwagon's "Can't Fight This Feeling." THOSE are Monster Ballads. (I consider myself a bit of a music snob as well...in case you can't tell.)

Cindy said...

I agree with Karen. Depeche Mode out of those two, but there's other songs that fit into Monster Ballads better :)

Troy and Lisa said...

Somebody

tanalicious said...

aerosmith is more butt rock and depeche mode is more emo.. its tough.. hmmm...

i'm going to say... as a monster ballad, aerosmith..

mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

definately AEROSMITH!

Anonymous said...

Never heard of that Depeche mode song. So gotta be Aerosmith. But then again I had to look up what the heck a monster ballard was.

Marc said the depeche mode song must be a Utah thing cuz he never heard of it too. So he's going with Aerosmith took. But then he went on and on about what other songs should be listed instead. Men...they don't listen

Emily M said...

Oh my gosh! I laughed out loud remembering doing the same thing during the Casey Kassem countdown!! So funny!!!

I also agree with Karen about the other songs being what I would consider being a monster ballad, but of the 2 I would have to pick Aerosmith!

amber said...

Aerosmith. Hands down.

Vicky said...

AEROSMITH

Anonymous said...

Depeche mode can not even be counted as a monster ballad. it is not the genre. DM is trench coat mafia music, you know the cure, erasure 80's "modern" music.

Aerosmith were rockers and can have a monster ballad. They fit the genre along with white lion, motley crue, poison GnR and other 80's rockers. Whoever picked DM was way off.

Kami said...

Both fit well under the term "ballad". But I think the term "monster ballad" is most commonly used to label a love song performed by a hair metal band. So this is a tough debate and it could go either way.

P.S., I'm with Karen, Depeche Mode had way more ballads than any of the hair bands had. Maybe not "monster ballads", but ballads nonetheless.

Sunshine Designed said...

Okay Heidi, It's totally Aerosmith. Here's why. They are a "Hard Rock" group and hard rockers had monster ballads. I have a CD from the 80's to prove it. Love this debate!

Jenny said...

Aerosmith all the way! Why? Because it's awesome and reminds me of Senior Year in High School. Plus, I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the ballad you picked given your taste in Bryan Adams. We are music soul sisters!

Kami said...

After some additional thought, I admit that Aerosmith would generally fit the monster ballad category better (since they are in-fact hairy and they helped inspire the hair metal movement) but not with the song in question. There is not a single guitar solo from what I remember (one of the most important aspects) and it received the most radio play on stations like FM 100 along with Mariah Carey and Kenny G. :) And yes, this is Kami, not Erik.

Laura Burtis said...

Haha! I love this game! I'm going to go with the majority and say Aerosmith. But I will note that I LOVE me some Depeche Mode!!

(oh and im totally the same way, i like to keep my blog a positive blog too, who wants to remember the bad stuff?? :))