LANAI DAY #3
Day 3 was the busiest day we had on Lanai. We woke up bright and early and hit the Munro Trail. The Munro Trail is a one lane, 7-12.8 mile (depending on what website you look at) dirt road that takes you up and along the ridge line of the mountain. At the highest peak you are at 3,370 feet in elevation. On a clear day (which it wasn't when we were there) you can see 5 of the Hawaiian islands: Maui, Molokai, Kahoolawe, Oahu and the Big Island.
This trail is very dangerous if it has been raining within the last two weeks. We were only able to make it 6 miles before we...well pretty much almost died (by died I mean almost got stuck in a huge crater of a puddle). It costs $350 for them to pull you out and we didn't feel like forking that kinda cash over so we turned around. Some of the potholes were massive. Like this one. We were driving into the sun and somehow missed this pothole. We were definitely being watched over on this drive. Horrible things could have happened numerous times.
Here is Lanai City
Shipwreck Beach
There are two shipwrecks just off of Lanai. The first one I posted about on day 2. This is the more well known one.
So the whole time Clayton was taking this picture I thought he was making it look like the ship was on my back. Like I was carrying it. While he was taking the pictures he couldn't stop laughing. Finally I got tired and went to see what he thought was so funny. As I soon found out and as you can see below he has the shipwreck coming out of my butt. He thought it would be hilarious the next time I got upset (which lets be honest never, ever happens) to say "What's wrong with you? Got a shipwreck up your butt!?!"
We then went to check out these old ancient petroglyphs. Apparently ancient Hawaiians drove trucks.
Our journey then took us to Lopa Beach. This was my favorite beach. Not a sole was around and it offered an amazing view of Maui. Another reason I loved this beach was because as soon as we sat down I saw a whale come out of the water about 100 yards from where we were sitting. Amazing!
I had to capture proof that there are palm trees on Lanai. You don't see them very often.
On our way back to town we stopped at Keomuku which is an old, deserted fishing village
Our last adventure of the day was Kahekili's Leap.
Kahekili's leap is where King Kamehameha's warriors would prove their bravery to him by leaping 80 into the ocean below. What makes it even more brave (or stupid, you decide) is that the rocks at the base of the wall you are jumping off of extend about 15 feet outwards and the water is only 10-20 feet deep.
There is also and old Hawaiian Heaiu by Kahekili's leap.
You didn't think I was going to go an entire post with out mentioning food did you? So this night we ate at Canoes Lanai. We heard that their burgers are coveted all over Hawaii.
This is Clayton's. Mine was the same, but without the egg. These burgers did not disappoint they were amazing.
Since the only ice cream shop on the entire island was closed for the month of January (just my luck) I was in some dire need of sugar. We headed over to the restaurant inside of Hotel Lanai where we ate the most delicious bread pudding...with ice cream on top.
3 comments:
Too bad it wasn't a clear day. That would have been awesome to see all five Hawaiian islands.
I, for one, like the shipwreck out of your butt photo. It has character!
Bahahahaha! I liked your ship wrecked butt! I am so glad you were watched over and that you didn't get hurt!
I am really LOL-ing. the bum shot is too funny!
Post a Comment