PIONEER DAY
known to most by its other name...
The 24th OF JULY
The 24th of July was always a big deal in our house. Well with the kids anyway. My parents hated it. Pretty sure they still do (might have something to do with the fact that my dad is the town councilman over the 24th extravaganza)As a youngster I loved the fish pond. You know...where you throw your makeshift fishing pole string over the sheet that is hung between two trees and catch yourself a nice surprise (usually a bouncy ball, pencil, stencil ruler, etc that cost about $0.05, but are pretty much like gold to kids)
The older I got the more my love for the pop toss grew. It was a favorite for many years. Loved trying to connect the rings to the pop in attempts to win myself a nice liter of carbonated kill juice (aka pop/soda).
My later years (the TGIF years) brought a strange love for the dance at night. I know, right!?! Me. Dances? Don't worry this only lasted about 2 years...max. Thank heavens that phase is over.
Lastly my heart fell head over heels for the volleyball tournament. This is where my current obsession lies. I. Love. Volleyball. I don't play as much as I used to, but it hasn't change my love. Wish my skills could say the same thing.
The festivities this year kicked off with the
CITIZEN OF THE YEAR
award presented by Mayor Cottle to
MERLIN AND WANDA ANDREW
(my grandparents)
Then the parade
Please remember that this parade involves tractors, horses, four wheelers, bicycles, tractors, fire engine, tractors, an occasional professional looking float, and more tractors that go around the block not once but TWICE.
its a big deal!
Citizen of the Year with her Great-Grandchildren
My personal favorite: the girl who could ride a horse with no hands.
The Cottle's never disappoint
Even though we didn't have any kids to watch the parade with us we still scored quite a bit of loot
Town Council driven by...
...this guy and his truck
While we waited for volleyball to start Clayton decided to make a Tydon Burrito
The rock wall and the race to the top is always a good way to kill some time
Ahh...Volleyball
Cort, Clayton and I came out as champions
I think the soccer picture pose ads a nice touch
home run derby
no body in the family won this year
Like last year, we headed to Casper's in the afternoon for some ice cream
I think it is becoming a tradition...
I think it is becoming a tradition...
The dinner and firework show on a sod farm is a recent addition to the party that happened a couple of years ago and...I love it! There is so much space to run around and play football, frisbee, boccee, etc.
airplane candy drop was also a huge hit
although all the tears from the little kids who didn't score candy made my heart break.
Glow sticks, necklaces and bracelets adorned the darkening sky
the 'rents were exhausted.
It had been a very long day for them
fireworks
finally
surprisingly decent light show for a town of barely over 500 people
And another great celebration of our ancestors who trudged and trekked across the plains comes to an end.
5 comments:
Shut up?! They have a freaking airplane candy drop?!!?! That would definitely be my FAVE part of the day!!
Did you see how far apart my legs got when I was batting? I was practically doing the splits:) haha.... Fun. day...
Now I have to go back and look at Kami's picture of her splits. Glad Cort could be so gross EVERY SINGLE YEAR with his rock climbing photo.
Glad you got a picture of the girl that could ride with no hands. She was very talented.
I. <3. you people. :) And may the festivities live on forever. There's nothing like the 24th in Trenton. (btw, thanks for the shout out) Your reminiscing of the old school celebrations nearly brought a tear to my eye. Sometimes I wish life could go back to when the baseball tournament reigned supreme with candy ropes and little bags of popcorn. As I recall, your family always rocked that too. Guess we'll have to stick to dressing up the offspring and slapping them on the crazy float each year now...
Congrats on being volleyball tournament champs. I really don't hate the 24th as much as you think. I absolutely love the fireworks and stuff at night. My fav! Loved all the pics and I'm especially glad that you were all there to share the day with us. Thats what makes it so special! Too bad nobody won the homerun derby! Boo!!!!!
Post a Comment